Under direction of the Property Manager, assist in the maintenance of buildings, grounds, vehicles, and equipment of an active environmental education center and 2,000 acre wildlife sanctuary. Work cooperatively with sanctuary staff including volunteers and interns, in support of Ipswich River’s goals and Mass Audubon’s mission. The Property Worker serves an essential role in the maintenance and cleaning of program buildings, setting up for programs, providing evening/night security and maintaining sanctuary grounds in all seasons. Enthusiasm, creativity, and commitment to our mission are all important characteristics to be successful in this position. Schedule is 40 hours per week, Thursday – Monday, occasionally need to work on evenings, weekends, and holidays. This is a live-in position on the sanctuary.
Maintenance of Buildings and other Structures
- Maintain building interiors and structures (inside and out) in good order and repair including: semi-weekly cleaning of visitor center, offices and program buildings; painting, carpentry, minor plumbing, mechanical repairs, winterization, and the monitoring and replacement of supplies.
- Perform daily custodial duties such as trash removal, recycling and cleaning of restrooms.
- Maintain building spaces (inside and out) used for property department work and activities in a clean and orderly fashion. Set-up tables and chairs for programs.
- Report needed repairs to the Property Manager.
Maintenance of Grounds and Property:
- Keep trails, parking areas, roadways, walkways, signage, interpretive material, posts, and any other structures on the property in good order and repair.
- Maintain safe conditions at the sanctuary for visitors and program participants including: the timely removal of hazards and obstructions from trails, roadways, and walkways, and posting of safety-related signage.
- Assist in removing snow and ice from parking areas, roadways, walkways, and building structures by shoveling, sanding, plowing and snow blowing.
- Assist in implementing approved ecological management plan(s) including: invasive plant management as needed.
Maintenance of Vehicles, Equipment, and Tools:
- Keep the Property Manager informed of any significant vehicle problems.
- Maintain all tools and equipment in safe and good working condition by proper storage, cleaning, sharpening, and repairing.
- Assist in caring for and maintaining all vehicles and equipment by tuning, cleaning, sharpening, changing fluids and scheduling needed service.
- Inform the Property Manager of equipment problems and needs.
Supervision of interns and volunteers
- Assist in the supervision, education, and development of interns, volunteers, and volunteer groups involved in property related projects.
- Work with the Property Manager to establish work schedules with staff, interns, and volunteers to accomplish goals.
- Cooperate with, assist, and accommodate sanctuary staff and property manager in using buildings, grounds, or equipment for programs, events, and functions.
- Attend staff meetings, property staff meetings and all-staff events.
- Provide courteous customer service to the public including sanctuary visitors and abutters.
- Perform other position-related duties, as assigned.
- High school diploma and at least three years of equivalent related experience
- Basic maintenance skills, including a knowledge of the safe operation, maintenance, and storage of power tools, equipment, tractors, mowers, implements, and vehicles
- A demonstrated ability to work well with other staff, volunteers, and community representatives and to relate to a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion
- Must have or be willing to obtain a Massachusetts pesticide applicator license and a Hoisting license
- CPR/First Aid certification required
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Successful completion of background records check (CORI, SORI and Driver’s)
Compensation and Benefits
Rate of Pay: based on qualifications and experience. Includes benefit package; this is a live-in position in the sanctuary apartment.
How to Apply
Please send resume to: