Thornton Tomasetti provides engineering design, investigation and analysis services to clients worldwide on projects of every size and level of complexity. We are a growing 1500+ person firm with 10 practices: Structural Engineering, Forensics, Applied Science, Renewal, Property Loss Consulting, Construction Engineering, Protective Design and Security, Facade Engineering, Sustainability and Transportation. We work on everything from landmark buildings to small-scale specialty structures, from the historic to the high performing, while balancing multiple objectives, including form, function, schedule, sustainability, constructability and budget. TALENT is at the core of our business.
Our Renewal practice provide owners and managers with a home for solutions to a wide range of structural, envelope and building systems needs for existing properties of every use, age and construction type. Our multidisciplinary design and assessment services cover a wide range of needs. We perform condition assessments, investigations, feasibility studies and peer reviews. We design repairs, renovations and alterations and oversee their execution in the field.
- Bachelor or Master of Architecture degree.
- 2 - 5 years of relevant full time experience in building envelope investigation and repair design.
- Work location: New York (51 Madison Avenue)
- Experience with historic structures, facades, window restoration and roof replacements
- Field experience and strong interest in working onsite.
- Technical knowledge of building envelope.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills.
- Forensic experience in testing and investigation.
- Ability to perform investigation of existing walls for leaks and other performance issues both visually and with instruments.
- Investigation of existing buildings structures with problems or failures.
- Ability to travel outside local area, depending on project location.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to prepare Construction Drawings and Technical Specifications under supervision.
- Construction administration experience in office and field.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Ability to efficiently work on projects independently or as part of a team.
- Knowledge of the NYC Façade Inspection and Safety Program (former Local Law 11/98) and ability to perform examination of buildings.
- Ability to perform work in temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors and unconditioned spaces
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability and willingness to safely work at heights
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- RA or PE.
- Ability to nurture client relationships.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the US or internationally.
- Ability and willingness to work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations, including confined spaces.
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment.
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle.
Thornton Tomasetti is proud to be an equal employment workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Thornton Tomasetti are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.