New Ecology, Inc. is seeking candidates for the position of Green Building Assistant Project Manager. The Assistant Project Manager is responsible for providing green building and energy efficiency services to project owners and development teams to practically and cost-effectively improve the performance, health and durability of buildings that are being newly constructed or substantially renovated. The work requires basic technical architectural and mechanical competency. Construction site field experience is desirable. The Assistant Project Manager will work with experienced Project Managers at New Ecology to develop strategies to green properties, ensure that these strategies are reflected in plans and specifications, train construction teams, inspect work to ensure that the design intent is met, and conduct post occupancy evaluations. Other duties include assisting with LEED and Energy Star certifications and renewable energy installations. The primary focus of this work is at the building level, specifically on multifamily housing and community buildings in the northeast.
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally-recognized non-profit corporation. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost-effectively improve the performance, health, and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community-based assets such as municipal, educational, and arts buildings. Projects include buildings that are being newly constructed, renovated, or are just seeking improved performance; see www.newecology.org for more details.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Project Manager’s duties will include, but are not limited to:
· Reviewing technical documents such as building plans, specifications, and submittals to ensure that green design intent is incorporated and that green and energy efficiency features are buildable;
· Participating in and documenting the outcomes of design charrettes to identify and target cost effective greening strategies and approaches for clients;
· Attending project meetings and contributing toward discussions on relevant sustainability issues;
· Conducting construction inspections to ensure that projects are built as designed, that LEED and Energy Star requirements are met, and that problems and issues are identified and resolved to the owner’s satisfaction;
· Conducting post-occupancy evaluations of projects to ensure they are performing as intended;
· Coordinating and documenting green building rating system compliance;
· Securing grants and rebates for clients, including writing proposals, working with utility representatives, and filing rebate forms;
· Drafting proposals.
The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, results-oriented, and a team player. The candidate must have a basic technical knowledge of building systems and operations, green building approaches and best practices, and some level of experience in project management, coordination and implementation. A strong desire to work on energy efficiency and sustainability issues at the building level is required.
The candidate should also possess strong customer communication skills. The candidate should be prepared for increased responsibility in a rapidly growing company and should be motivated to help build this aspect of New Ecology’s services.
The successful candidate will:
- Have academic or work experience that demonstrates:
- the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- strong verbal and written communication skills;
- research experience in a related field;
- strong MC Excel and Word and writing skills;
· Technical competence in reading and interpreting specifications and plans;
· Experience in building science,
· Basic knowledge of HVAC systems and building codes;
· Basic knowledge of multifamily buildings/building systems;
· Graduate degree or equivalent experience.
Desirable experience includes:
· LEED accreditation and experience in actually certifying projects;
· HERS rater and/or BPI certification;
· Construction management and field inspection abilities.
Competitive pay and generous benefits package. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Please add "Assistant Project Manager" in subject line)
or mail to -
New Ecology, Inc.
15 Court Square, Suite 420
Boston, MA 02108
Attn: Assistant Project Manager position
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.