Definition of Position
An Intern is a college student or recent graduate with less than one year of post-graduation work experience who is at Kaplan Thompson Architects for a defined time. They provide support contributions on architectural Project Design/Process
To Whom the Position Reports
Principals, Project Managers, Director of Operations and Marketing
Perform a variety of duties requiring knowledge of office systems and procedures. Support other staff by assisting with everyday requests. Coordinate office functions. Resolve many office problems independently and facilitate solutions, confer with supervisor to resolve the more complex issues. Provide drafting, research, renderings, presentation boards, model-making or other project-specific assistance as required. Provide graphic support for design and marketing projects. Duties may also include general errands.
Frequent & Ongoing Design Support Responsibilities
- Communicate with and assist Designers on miscellaneous issues
- Drafting support (dependent on knowledge of Archicad)
- Design, rendering and presentation support
- Data gathering from past projects for KTA archives (client surveys, materials used, project team, sustainability snapshot information, etc.)
- Conversion of Energy Modeling data to parallel metrics (EUI - HERS - kBTU/sf/yr)
- Assist with field measuring and documentation of existing structures
- Prepare agendas and meeting minutes when necessary
- Provide project meeting support as needed (pin up, follow up, etc.)
- Maintain materials library
- Provide assistance with project certification
- Research materials, historic photos, etc.
- Scan and format documents
- Project documentation such as site photos, construction photos, etc.
- Support various other tasks including project closeout, plan archive, owner’s manuals, preparing project startup, permit packages and presentation documents, etc.
Frequent & Ongoing Operations Support Responsibilities
- Open, sort, and route incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail and packages
- Perform daily kitchen cleanup as needed
- Maintain internal databases
- Organize and maintain file storage (physical and digital)
- Assist with creation of project marketing materials
- Assist with award submissions
- Special projects including Architecture 2030 submission
Must be comfortable lifting light packages.
Qualifications, Skills & Knowledge Requirements
- Education/interest/experience – and passion – in the field of sustainable design.
- BArch or BS completed or in progress, or 1 year of relevant experience.
- Although not required, preference will be given to candidates who have photo/video, Mac, Photoshop, Adobe, and/or CAD skills.
Compensation, Timing and Benefits
30-40 hour/week hourly position with limited benefits, from mid-June and until end of August (approx. 10 weeks).
Wage range: $12-15/hour
Possible Career Path Options
Could develop into a full-time position as the firm grows, or evolve into a larger role for the right person.