Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge and skills
- 2+ years of experience with residential and multifamily design and construction.
- Proven interest in and demonstrated understanding of building science concepts.
- Strong technical background with a solid working knowledge of residential and multifamily buildings, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing and structural systems, as well as building materials and finishes.
- Fluency reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
- Experience with onsite construction.
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions and on construction sites.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and carry it 50 yards to facilitate field testing work.
- Ability to explain complex concepts quickly and concisely to a variety of stakeholders.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Outstanding time management skills, and ability to coordinate a large number of tasks.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, emotional intelligence, confidence and integrity.
- Collaborative attitude with strong focus on teamwork.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (in order of importance: Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
Required technical skills and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in architectural engineering or building technologies. Other acceptable degrees include architecture, construction management, or building-related engineering disciplines.
- Valid driving license with clean driving record.
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Previous experience as a HERS Rater, LEED for Homes Green Rater, and/or NGBS Green Verifier preferred but not required.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds and carry them 50 yards repeatedly over the course of a day. Employees in this role must be able to climb stairs and ladders and endure typical construction site conditions.
While performing the duties of this job in an office setting, the employee is regularly required to sit, frequently required to walk and occasionally required to stand. The employee frequently is required to use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Frequent local field visits to client offices and project sites in the Connecticut, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts area will be necessary. Occasional overnight travel may also be required. A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately 60% of duties will be performed in an office environment or at the employee’s home. Approximately 40% of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed upon goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or marital status.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
To learn more about Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.