Job Position: Passive House/Building Systems Analyst
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: Norwalk, CT
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high-performance buildings.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is hiring a Passive House/Building Systems Analyst to contribute to its growing team in Norwalk, CT.
We are seeking a motivated, organized, and dedicated individual to learn, grow, and thrive with us. The ideal candidate should be passionate, experienced, and knowledgeable about high-performance buildings, in particular, Passive House. Certified professionals in International or US standards are welcome to apply. Applicants with software training in either standard will also be considered. The ideal candidate will have a desire to work directly with clients as well as perform modeling and conduct field inspections.
This position reports to the Senior Building Systems Consultant.
- Conducting field inspections to assess: compliance with construction drawings, quality of construction, performance of HVAC equipment, and airtightness of the building facade.
- Reviewing project drawings through the design process, conducting energy modeling, providing design assistance for high-performance buildings of all sizes and types.
- Participating in design meetings and providing on-going support to the entire project team.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The role requires a self-starter able to work independently in a large office environment with the ability to take on project management responsibilities. Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related degree with an emphasis on buildings and their operation.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience with building projects in North America and a comprehensive understanding of energy use in buildings.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Preferred knowledge, and skills:
- Familiarity with CAD, Sketchup, THERM, and WUFI Pro (or equivalent software)
- Experience working on Passive House projects or other high-performance certification programs
- Excellent work ethic;
- Willingness to learn and be a self-starter;
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently;
- Ability to work independently when required;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity;
- Collaborative nature with a strong focus on teamwork.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
The employee may be required to lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (less than 5%). Frequent local field visits in the state of CT or immediately surrounding states will be necessary (estimated 10-20%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Most of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter as part of your application.
Visit www.swinter.com for further information.